Created in 1929, High Rock Lake is the northernmost of the Uwharrie Lakes and the second largest lake in North Carolina behind Lake Norman. Its water surface covers 15,180 acres (61 km2) and there are 365 miles (587 km) of shoreline. It begins at the confluence of the Yadkin River and the South Yadkin River. The lake's name is derived from neighboring "High Rock Mountain," the tallest mountain in the Uwharrie Mountains. The lake serves as a boundary between Davidson and Rowan counties and is a reservoir for hydroelectric power generation. This 15,000-acre reservoir on the Yadkin River provides excellent boating and fishing opportunities for bass, crappie, striper, bream, catfish and bait.